How many times have you tried to reason with a Mormon by showing them why the things they are being taught are false? Well, for one thing, not all Mormons believe exactly the same thing. Yes, it's true. In fact, have encountered Mormons who doubt the validity of the Book of Mormon. One visitor to this site claims to be a teacher at his local Mormon church and claims to have taught things that made his local authority get up and leave.
However, that dyed-in-the wool, LDS thru-and-thru Mormon who still clings to Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, still buys the whole "golden plates" story as truth, and who will defend with every fiber of his being, they will answer our claims about the history and teachings of the Mormon church with scorn because we are anti-Mormon, bigoted, etc. Therefore, let's look at some of the things a Mormon will deny, and whether or not those things are true. This is but a small sample.
"The Mormon church has never taught polygamy!"
- "The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy. Others attain unto a glory and may even be permitted to come into the presence of the Father and the Son; but they cannot reign as kings in glory, because they had blessing offered unto them, and they refused to accept them." (Brigham Young, 8/19/1866, recorded in Journal of Discourses, vol. 11 p.269)
"The Mormon church does not teach we can become gods!"
From Gospel Principles, an official LDS teaching manual:
- Since we could not progress further in heaven, our Heavenly Father called a Grand Council to present his plan for our progression (see Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 348, 349, 365). We learned that if we followed his plan, we would become like him. We would have a resurrected body; we would have all power in heaven and on earth; we would become heavenly parents and have spirit children just as he does (see D&C 132:19-20). (This also refutes the idea that the Mormon church does not believe in a "Heavenly Mother".)
- When we lived with our Heavenly Father, he explained a plan for our progression. We could become like him, an exalted being.
- Exaltation is eternal life, the kind of life God lives. He lives in great glory. He is perfect. He possesses all knowledge and all wisdom. He is the Father of spirit children. He is a creator. We can become like our Heavenly Father. This is exaltation. If we prove faithful to the Lord, we will live in the highest degree of the celestial kingdom of heaven. We will become exalted, just like our Heavenly Father. Exaltation is the greatest gift that Heavenly Father can give his children (see D&C 14:7).
- Those who receive exaltation in the celestial kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ will receive special blessings. The Lord has promised, "All things are theirs" (D&C 76:59). These are some of the blessings given to exalted people: (2) They will become gods. (3) They will have their righteous family members with them and will be able to have spirit children also. These spirit children will have the same relationship to them as we do to our Heavenly Father. They will be an eternal family…(5) They will have everything that our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ have–all power, glory, dominion, and knowledge.
"The Mormon church does not teach that God the father had sex with Mary!"
- "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints proclaims that Jesus Christ is the Son of God in the most literal sense. The body in which He performed His mission in the flesh was sired by that same Holy Being we worship as God, our Eternal Father. Jesus was not the son of Joseph, nor was He begotten by the Holy Ghost." (Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p. 7)
- "Jesus Christ is the Son of Elohim both as spiritual and bodily offspring; that is to say, Elohim is literally the Father of the spirit of Jesus Christ and also of the body in which Jesus Christ performed His mission in the flesh…" (First Presidency and Council of Twelve, 1916. Cited in Ensign. April 2002. p.13.)
"We are too Christians!"
- The MYSTERY of Babylon the great, is mother of harlots and abominations of the earth, and it needs no prophetic vision, to unravel such mysteries. The old church is the mother, and the protestants are the lewd daughters…What prayers, what devotion, or what faith, 'since the fathers have fallen asleep,' has opened the heavens; has brought men into the presence of God; and to the spirits of just men made perfect, and to an innumerable company of angels? The answer is, not any: `There is none in all christendom that doeth good; no, not one…All kingdoms but Daniel's set up in the last days, must break to pieces. So success to the (divisions of christians): they will help hasten the latter-day glory. God and Mormonism forever! (Brigham Young, Christendom is Babylon, Times and Seasons, volume 6, Nauvoo, Illinois, Feb 15, 1845, p.810-811.)
- Doctrine and Covenants 123:7–It is an imperative duty that we owe to God, to angels, with whom we shall be brought to stand, and also to ourselves, to our wives and children, who have been made to bow down with grief, sorrow, and care, under the most damning hand of murder, tyranny, and oppression, supported and urged on and upheld by the influence of that spirit which hath so strongly riveted the creeds of the fathers, who have inherited lies, upon the hearts of the children, and filled the world with confusion, and has been growing stronger and stronger, and is now the very mainspring of all corruption, and the whole earth groans under the weight of its iniquity.
The purpose of this post is not to "bash" Mormons, but rather to show them that they have not been told the truth about the history of what the former leaders taught and practiced.